Google processes over 3.5 billion searches per day – each query guiding users to one of the 1.8 billion websites that can be redefined as ‘the competition’. In this ever-expanding space, online visibility is vital to success. And by visibility, we mean getting your website ranked on the first page of Google’s search results because 90% of people don’t search beyond that.
Search engines offer two types of search results: organic and paid. Organic search results are web page listings that are most relevant to the user’s search query. To drive your website up the ranks and secure more visitors, you need a robust Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) strategy. This involves the use of SEO tactics to improve the visibility of your website.
Typical tactics include:
- improving the speed of your site
- encouraging greater visitor engagement
- improving the quality of your content
- focusing on topics instead of keywords
- adding your site to local business listings
- crafting compelling titles and descriptions
- building backlinks to your site
- guest posting on other sites to get your name out.
Here are five SEO fundamentals to start your journey up the ranks:
- Domain and page authority score: This is determined by your domain name relevance, content quality and relevance, internal links between pages, mobile-friendliness, loading time and content promotion on social media.
- On-site optimisation: Make it easy for search engines to find and index your content with a well-structured and smooth functioning website, clean and minimal coding, target keywords, and the optimal use of titles, tags and meta tags.
- Content marketing: SEO cannot exist without the articles, videos, infographics and podcasts you create. Consistently publish value-add content and expand your target keywords to build your brand and secure repeat site visits.
- Link building: Create content on external websites to build your brand, establish your credibility as a thought-leader and develop opportunities for viewers to link back to your site.
- Measurement and analysis: SEO results are meaningless without interpretation. Make use of tools like Google Analytics to track your site’s progress and make constructive changes to your strategy.
SEO is as much about search engines as it is about the people who use them. G&G’s SEO services are engineered to strengthen your website’s potential to hit that #1 spot by enhancing your website functionality and user experience, crafting relevant value-add content, and ensuring overall compliance with SEO best-practices.
NEXT: The basics in practice: How to improve SEO rankings, what search engines look for and common mistakes to avoid.