By Desireé Gullan, Co-founder and Executive Creative Director of G&G Digital
What does it take to create an effective email marketing campaign that is not only read, but also engaged with? Mailers must convey a message and create an experience that entices the user to take the desired action.
Email marketing has many benefits and is a highly effective channel that can take the lead or compliment other digital channels, such as banners and paid search. Benefits include,
- Through personalisation and tailored content, your email marketing campaign improves by 14% in click-throughs and an additional 10% in conversions
- Easier for customers to understand and interact with, which can increase revenue by 60% when used efficiently
- Good creative is memorable and engaging
- Excellent response rate as email marketing drives more conversions than any other marketing channel including search and social.
The above can only be achieved through a strategic, well-crafted email campaign, implemented through smart copy,design and UX.
Here are 7 factors to achieve a hardworking email marketing campaign.
- Multi-channel integration
Consumers prefer content tailored to their needs so they need not do additional work to find what is relevant to them. Multi-channel integration such as QR-codes and tailored landing pages get users right where they need to be in as few clicks as possible. Simplicity is key, 90% of retailers report that a simple, integrated emails gets the best results.
- Strong visual elements
Strong, compelling visual imagery isn’t just aesthetically appealing, it also helps convey the key message and reduces the need for too much intimidating copy.
- Create an interactive experience
Users want convenience and ease-of-use such as one-click reviews, purchasing and returns, or whatever your conversion requirement is. Think of your email marketing as effective sales or customer service through a digital platform, in real-time.
- Utilise live-content
Whether your campaign is for awareness, education or engagement, live-content keeps users intrigued. This could either include a live countdown timer, live scores, streaming an event or even rich media. It’s interactive, captivating and effective.
- Improve accessibility for disabled users
Be it Siri, Alexa or Google Home, tech is available for all audiences including visually impaired, hearing impaired or physically disabled users.
- Subject lines rule
Be adventurous and engaging with your subject line. When a user receives an email, the subject line determines whether it will be read or trashed.
- Avoid these in your subject lines
Spam filters have improved tremendously, so take care when writing subject lines. Stay away from,
- Caps lock, because who wants to be yelled at by an email?
- Punctuation marks and obscure symbols are triggers of spam filters.
- Avoid language such as, free, act now, visit our website, for a limited time only and guarantee.
- Try not to be too salesy. The best subject lines suggest and intrigue users to read more.
In addition to a well-crafted email campaign, the benefits are substantial through the implementation of the following,
- Due to low cost per contact, it is cost effective
- Highly targeted with the correct databases on hand, which can be customised by interests, region and language
- Highly measurable with the correct tools
- Constant growth through the creation of new databases
- Sending four emails per month instead of one which significantly increases the number of users opening the email
- Email marketing generates more conversations than any other marketing channel
- Revenue for B2B brands increased by 60% through email marketing automation
Each of the benefits are not just measurable through data, but also clear KPI’s to ensure a significant ROI is gained. This is measured through,
- Open rate per mail sent out
- Clickthrough rate
- Number of emails shared
- Number of social shares
- Database growth
- Delivery and bounce rates
Consumers are bombarded with thousands of marketing messages a day, make sure yours is targeted, relevant, engaging and easy for your target market. This makes your desired conversions achievable which will assist with your objectives.